Coronavirus or COVID-19 is no strange word today, everybody knows about it or we can say everybody is terrified by it. So, we should also know in detail about it so that we and the people around us should be healthy and safe.
Coronavirus is a large family of viruses that causes sickness or illness in humans or animals. In humans, severe COVID-19 causes respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). The most recently discovered one that is coronavirus causes COVID-19 coronavirus disease.
COVID-19 is an infectious disease. It is caused by the coronavirus. This new disease and virus were unknown before the outbreak began in China place known as Wuhan, in December 2019.
Common symptoms of Coronavirus are being tired, fever, and dry cough. Some patients also may have nasal congestion, aches, and pains, sore throat, runny nose or diarrhea. These symptoms are mild and develop with time slowly. There are instances when some people get infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel that they are ill. Some people recover from the disease without being treated specially. Older people and those with pre-existing medical problems like high blood pressure, diabetes or heart problems are more likely to develop serious illness. People who have symptoms like fever, difficulty breathing and cough should seek medical attention.
People can catch Coronavirus from those who have the virus. COVID-19 can spread from person to person through small water droplets from the mouth or nose from infected patients which are spread when the person infected with COVID-19 exhales or coughs. These droplets land on surfaces and objects around the person. Other people then catch it by touching these surfaces or objects, then touching their face, particularly eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person infected with COVID-19 who exhales or coughs out droplets. This is the reason it is important to stay a minimum of 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick or showing these symptoms. It is a rumor that COVID-19 can be transmitted through the air.
We can protect ourselves from being infected with COVID-19 by following these precautionary measures:
- Wash your hands at regular intervals and thoroughly with hand wash or soap and water. You can also use an alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Stay away and maintain distance from a person who is coughing or sneezing. They may be infected by the virus. If you inhale the virus from the water droplets exhaled by them through coughing or sneezing, you can also get infected with COVID-19.
- Avoid touching your face. Your hands touch and pick surfaces and objects. So, the virus can stick to the hands and if you touch your nose, eyes or mouth, it can enter your body and make you infected with COVID-19.
- Avoid going out if you have symptoms like coughing, sneezing, fever or difficulty in breathing. Follow the instructions, rules, and regulations of your local health authority body.
- Keep yourself updated with the COVID-19 hotspots of your state and avoid going there. It may decrease your chances of getting infected with the virus.
Even if you show these symptoms, don’t panic. Get yourself tested and treated. The government is always there to help you. If you have a travel history of going out of the country, self-quarantine yourself at home for 14 days. Maintain a safe distance with your family members for everybody’s safety. Lastly, don’t panic and be safe.